Saturday, May 1, 2010

Six months old.

I'm five days overdue on this post, but Tyler turned six months on Monday, April 26th.  It is so hard to believe that we've reached the six month mark already.  These six months have just flown by.  Here's some tidbits about Tyler right now:
  • Tyler continues to be such an easy going, happy baby. He smiles and smiles and smiles at anyone and everyone.  Grace was very similar as a baby, but I really think Tyler is an even happier baby than Grace was.  I really hope this is a sign of him being easy going in the future (it would definitely be a first for one of our kids!)
  • Maybe Tyler is so much more easy going than the girls because we're on the go so much.  During the day, he really just adapts to whatever we are doing and does not get fussy hardly ever.  The girls start preschool at 9am.  Since Tyler wakes up usually around 6am, I'll feed him and sometimes he will take a quick nap before we leave to take the girls to school.   Other days though, he's just happy taking a nap in his carseat while we are driving to school.   It amazes me that he will fall asleep on the way to school, stay asleep while I get the girls to their classrooms, and continue to stay asleep in his carseat even after we get home.  Most afternoons, I don't have to pick up the girls after school, so I try to get him down for a nap right before girls get home.  Most of the time he will nap in his crib, but on occasions, he naps in his swing in the afternoon.  He does not nap that long in the afternoon (usually an hour), but he's a great sleeper at night, usually going to bed between 6-7pm and sleeping around 12 hours at night.  
  • Tyler is working more on his verbal skills than his motor skills right now.  Two days before he turned six months, he started saying 'Ma Ma.'   For a couple of months, he has been babbling and saying what sounds like 'Hi', but he's been saying 'Ma Ma' a lot lately.  I love it when I hear him through the monitor in the morning saying my name :)  He still shrieks at times, but now that he's starting to form sounds, the shrieking is a little less frequent, thank goodness.  
  • Tyler still nurses every 2-3 hours.  I did not start feeding him rice cereal until two days before he turned 6 months old.  I found it so much easier to just nurse him and was honestly being lazy by not feeding him cereal sooner.  But by waiting, the transition to food has been so easy.  He's great with the spoon and is eating like a champ.  For the first time today, I gave him his first vegetable (carrots) and he devoured them. 
  • Tyler saw his pediatrician on April 26th.  He weighed 15lb. 0.5oz., so he only gained 1/2 pound this month.  He is definitely a little peanut because he was only in the 12th percentile for weight.  He measured 25 3/4 inches long and is the 29th percentile for height.  Tyler still fits in his 3-6 month clothes though he is wearing some 6-9 month clothes even though they are a bit big.  He is still wearing size 3 diapers.  
  • Tyler still prefers his back to his tummy, even though he does well on his tummy now.  He has not even attempted to roll from his back to his tummy though.  He is getting better with sitting up, but has to use his hands to keep himself up.  He starts sitting up erect then gradually leans more and more forward until he is on his tummy!  His favorite toy is his exersaucer.
  • Unlike the girls, Tyler does not use a pacifier that often.  I give it to him maybe twice a day when he is a little cranky, but he rarely needs it to go to sleep.  Sometimes he needs it right before nap, but that's usually only because I missed the nap window and he is overtired.  He never uses it to go to sleep at night.  Probably a sign that I just need to make it disappear now!
  • I noticed a little white spot on his lower gums for the first time last week.  His teeth have not popped through anymore since noticing that small spot, but he's drooling and keeping his hands in his mouth a lot, so it will be interesting to see when more of his bottom teeth pop through. 
Hopefully I can get the 6 month onesie picture taken tomorrow or the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment