Grace had been practicing some songs at home for a couple of weeks, so I tried to tell her that during the program, she should look ahead and try to make eye contact with us in the audience. She just kept reassuring us that she would sing loudly because Ms. Cheryl had been telling everyone to use loud voices. Well, Grace listened. From the moment her class started signing, Grace was the loudest one up there. She knew all the words to every song and was so confident. As she sang, she had a large smile on her face, bounced up and down, and just had so much fun.
But of course, it would not be Grace if she did not give us something to laugh and talk about. Background: Grace hates tight fitting clothing (okay, like mother like daughter here). When Grace was 3, she and I would battle every morning over getting dressed because every outfit she would try on was "too tight" even if it was hanging off of her. (After so many months of fighting Grace to get dressed, to this day, I hate hearing the words "too tight" and just cringe when either of the girls complain about their clothes). Fortunately, Grace has been better about getting dressed for quite some time and usually gets dressed every morning without drama, especially when she can wear a dress. Well, her preschool teachers requested that their students wear denim shorts and a solid color shirt for the preschool graduation program. Of course, I knew this was going to be a problem, so I made Grace wear something similar the day of their rehearsal. Like I thought, a tantrum ensued, but at least she got it out of her system two days before the actual program. Then on Friday morning, she actually got dressed without much difficulty (she just had to sit on the floor for 10 minutes and stretch her shorts out). Keep in mind, Grace is so skinny that these shorts are big to begin with. And during the program, it was quite apparent. A couple of minutes into the program, Grace started pulling and tugging on her shorts, appeared to unbutton them and then tried to button them back (thankfully with the assistance of her teacher who noticed her playing with her shorts on stage). The entire program, Grace literally had "her hands in her pants" as she was trying to fix them or hold them up. For about one minute, I was mortified. Then I started laughing and could not stop. Fortunately, Mike was videotaping the entire thing and if you know my husband, you know he made sure to zoom OUT to make sure her whole body was on tape. As he said, "perfect footage to show (and embarass) Grace at her wedding." But even with her droopy drawers, Grace did not miss a beat and sang loudly the entire time. That's my girl!
And here's some fun pictures of my little graduate from last weekend. I have not downloaded the pictures from the program yet. Her class was pretty far away on stage, so I don't think I got many good pictures, but if I did, I'll try to get them up soon!

No comments:
Post a Comment